New Year New Beginnings
A new year is a great time for reflecting back on the year that has been and to think forward to the positive changes you want to make for the coming year.
The infamous New Year Resolution!
Why do so many well meant resolutions crumble to dust? Why does that initial enthusiasm just dwindle away? It doesn’t have to be this way.
Here are 7 great tips for making those New Year Resolutions stick for good…
1. Choose to do something that you really want to do, avoid doing something that you feel you ought to do. Inspiration not obligation. This is a positive step towards feeling good about the resolution.
2. Make sure that you are being realistic and that your goal is achievable. It’s far better to go to the gym once a week and stick to it than to go 5 days a week for the month of Jan never to return again!
3. Try to avoid attempting the same old resolution in the similar way you’ve tried before. As the famous quote from Einstein goes “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Think of a new resolution or consider a fresh way of approaching an old one.
4. Feel excited about your resolution, imagine yourself in 3 months time having achieved the change you wanted and feeling great.
5. Look at the resolution from a new positive perspective. Not as giving something up and denying yourself but instead giving yourself something life enhancing, choosing a better way of life. If you’re giving up smoking for example don’t concentrate on the cigarettes you are denying yourself instead concentrate on how good you feel, how clear your skin is and how liberated you are starting to feel as the chains of the old habit start breaking away.
6. If you are reflecting on your life, you may be feeling stuck and running on auto pilot. You may be contemplating long, overdue life changes. If this is the case consider life coaching. Many coaches offer the first session for free, so try testing the water, you have nothing to lose and it may be the best decision you can make for moving forward with your life.
7. A New Year Resolution is a commitment that you are making to yourself. Announce your intention to people who you know will be supportive. Firstly, this will make you accountable and secondly, it will give you someone to turn to when you need support and encouragement.
Decide, commit and reap the rewards.
Remember to congratulate yourself with every landmark you reach, look back in appreciation of how far you have come and treat yourself to something special.
Go on, you know you can do it!
Wishing you an inspirational New Year with much joy and success.